- This event has passed.
VA Maine’s 21st Annual Homeless Stand Down
October 13 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Homeless Veteran registration is from 9:00am – 11:00am. There is no pre-registration for this event.
The Homeless Veteran Stand Down is a full day of services and resources for Veterans that are literally homeless or in transitional housing. The term “Stand Down” is a military term, in which active duty personnel would be taken off the battle field and able to “Stand Down” in a safe place. The Homeless Stand Down allows our Veterans to “stand down” from homelessness, to connect them with the services and supports needed to end their homelessness.
Free services for homeless Veterans include:
- transportation to and from the event from designated locations
- boots and clothing
- child care
- employment and training resources
- flu shots
- food and drinks
- food stamp and MaineCare applications
- health care services
- housing resources
- legal services
- optional HEP C and HIV testing
- personal care items
- tax advocate
- Veteran benefits
- women’s services
All services at the Stand Down are free to homeless Veterans.
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) provides free transportation to and from the Stand Down. Veterans must meet at the pick-up and drop-off location listed to have transportation provided.
DAV Van Departure Locations and Times:
- Bangor Area Shelter, 263 Main St., Bangor, ME, Depart: 7:15 a.m., Tel: 947-0092
- Betsy Ann Ross House of Hope, 8 Summer St., Augusta, ME, Depart: 7:45 a.m.
- Bread of Life Soup Kitchen, 157 Water St., Augusta, ME, Depart: 8:00 a.m., Tel: 621-2541 (please wait by the door)
- Hope Haven Mission, 209 Lincoln St., Lewiston, ME, Depart: 7:00 a.m., Tel: 783-6086
- Hope House, 179 Indiana St., Bangor, ME, Depart: 7:00 a.m., Tel: 217-6713
- Mid Maine Homeless Shelter, 9 Colby St., Waterville, ME, Depart: 7:30 a.m., Tel: 872-8082
- Milestone, 28 Portland Ave., Old Orchard Beach, ME, Depart: 6:30 a.m., Tel: 934-5231
- Milestone, 65 India St., Portland, ME, Depart: 8:00 a.m., Tel: 775-4790
- Preble Street Resource Center (wheelchair accessible bus), 8 Portland St., Portland, ME, Depart: 7:30 a.m., Tel: 874-6560
- Saco Train Station, 128 Main St. and Saco Island on Main St., Saco, ME, Depart: 6:15 a.m.
- Sanford Vet Center, 628 Main St., Springvale, ME, Depart: 6:00 a.m., Tel: 490-1513
- Tedford Shelter, 49 Cumberland St., Brunswick, ME, Depart: 7:30 a.m., Tel: 725-4871
- Trinity Shelter, 12 McClellan St., Skowhegan, ME, Depart: 7:00 a.m., Tel: 399-7538
- York County Shelter, 147 Shaker Hill Rd., Alfred, ME, Depart: 6:00 a.m.
- Transportation may be available from additional shelter locations around the state. For more information about the
- Homeless Veteran Stand Down, please call Gabrielle Farris, HUD-VASH Advanced Medical Support Assistant, VA Maine
- Healthcare System, 207-623-8411, ext. 2992.